A garage keypad is a keyless entry system for any garage and can be a real benefit to families with children who come and go without a vehicle. Rather than provide an assortment of remotes that activate garage door openers – and can be lost or stolen – a keypad opens the door on command. The unit can be installed outside any Madison WI garage and accessed only by someone with the appropriate PIN – personal identification number. Newer models even allow for multiple PIN access so every member of the family can have their own.
Most of the top garage door openers come with a garage keypad to be installed with the opener. A keypad can be installed on older doors as an accessory if your opener didn’t come with one.
NOTE: If your garage door does not have photo eyes , check with a professional before trying to install a universal-type keypad that may not be compatible.
Benefits of a Garage Keypad
Wireless entry to your home, whether through the garage or other doors, is more than just convenience. It represents security. And, with the garage door the No. 1 point of entry for most homes these days security via garage door openers is vital. Consider these reasons for having a remote entry keypad:
- Eliminate additional keys that can be lost or stolen – a recent survey showed that 33% of people with school-age children have a garage keypad.
- More than 60% of people who have been locked out of their house now use a garage keypad.
- Remote units can be lost – and batteries die at the most inopportune moment.
- A keyless entry pad on your garage door can be linked to alarm systems and “open” alerts within a security system.
- You can allow access to the house without sharing keys or being there – when on vacation you can make provisions to care for the cat, feed the fish or water the plants without giving out another key. The keypad can be coded with a PIN just for the one person you designate while you’re gone and then recoded when you return.
There Are Drawbacks to Keypads
Adding a remote keypad to trigger garage door openers isn’t without its negative aspects. Here are the common concerns:
- A garage door opening keypad has to be maintained – most use batteries that need to be replaced and they need to be kept free of debris, insects, etc.
- You have to remember another code – using the same PIN for all your security requirements is a bad idea.
- You have to create a code everyone in the family will remember.
- You have to make sure everyone understands that this is a private code not to be shared with friends or neighbors.
- An unobtrusive keypad can look like a security system but it is not – losing or sharing the code makes it the easiest way in.
A garage door keypad is no different than any other means of getting garage door openers to work. It includes pressing buttons to make the garage door go up or down. These convenient units are only as safe as the garage door and opener themselves. However, most homeowners agree the convenience and versatility makes them worthy additions.
The trained professionals at Northland Door Systems provide timely service for all garage doors, garage door openers and accessories like a garage keypad. They provide the area’s widest selection of replacement garage doors and in-stock supplies.
Call Northland Door Systems at 608-251-3627 or email us for professional installation of garage door openers and the latest garage keypad for your Madison WI home.