Keeping up with “Smart Home” technology, a smart garage door opener is a natural addition. Linking your garage door to a device you carry with you nearly everywhere makes sense. You can monitor your Madison WI home via a phone app and family members can open/close the door without a traditional opener or keypad. The days of pushing buttons or punching keys are limited.
Systems integrating opener technology with phone apps puts complete remote control at your fingertips from long distance. When family members or unexpected guests arrive wouldn’t be nice to let them in without stress? A smart phone app can also alert you to unexpected visitors, giving you options to let them in or question their presence. The same applications can keep records of who opens/closes the door and when.
Smart Garage Door Opener – More Than Advanced Hardware
Traditional garage door openers won’t go away any time soon. They are versatile and reliable. However just tapping on a picture of a garage door on your phone’s screen is convenient. It also adds a level of peace of mind to your daily routine. Have you ever wondered “did I remember to close the garage door?” when leaving on vacation? Did you ever turn back to discover it was closed all along? You can program openers to automatically close the door after a predetermined time. Most settings program it to stay open somewhere between 3 and 10 minutes.
In the midst of Wisconsin’s annual thunderstorm season power outages are not uncommon. Electric garage door openers leave you with a heavy load to lift when the power is out. Some of today’s modern openers are equipped with battery backup systems that provide uninterrupted access to your home and vehicles. Rapidly changing codes limit the chance of intruders hacking the system and entering your garage.
Retrofit Your Existing Garage Door Opener
If your current garage door opening system is a few years old, but in excellent condition you may not want to replace it with a high-tech version. And you don’t have to. You can get “smart” performance with a kit that allows you to connect to the Internet and control your garage door via your phone. These retrofit kits do not work with all door systems, so check with a garage door installation pro before you give one a try.
Some of the new opening systems access controls via WI-FI and some use Bluetooth to connect to a phone. As technology advances, your options expand. When you evaluate these two choices, consider:
- Bluetooth works only when you are within range of the receiving unit – which may limit your use to within 20 feet or so.
- WI-FI allows access from remote locations – anywhere you can connect to the Internet.
When considering a new, high-tech smart system look at professionally-installed popular including:
Top Smart Garage Door Opener Choices From Northland
Northland Door Systems features the industry’s top-of-the-line garage door openers. Top installation teams are factory-trained and tuned to the latest technology. Consider the following well-known names:
- Chamberlain MyQ opener system and app for smart phones. The system comes with one component mounted to your garage door plus a remote opener like conventional systems. There is an additional unit mounted inside the garage with access to you in-home WI-FI. The control app is a free download to your smart phone – with a “learn” opening to make first-time installation easy.
- Liftmaster technology also has a myQ version. Several versions are equipped with battery backup systems as well as smart applications. One of the most popular features is a way to enable secure in-garage delivery for Amazon Prime packages. Note: Check you location for access to this feature, it isn’t available from Amazon everywhere.
- Genie Aladdin Connect is a multi-featured smart application. It goes beyond opening and closing the door to monitoring such things as:
- When access is attempted and by whom.
- Knowing when someone attempts to manually operate the door.
- Ability to provide temporary access codes of deliveries, relatives or friends.
- Provides a history when the door opens and closes – including dates and times.
Since garage door openers were invented science has teamed with engineering to make great strides. To put the latest advances to work for you, call or email Northland Door Systems at 608-251-3627. Or visit our garage door show room just minutes from Madison. We’re specialize in garage door and opener repairs, maintenance and installation. We’ll link a smart garage door opener to your Madison WI home and continue your “smart” lifestyle.