When it comes to curb appeal, little things make a big difference. Consider the impact of adding garage door hardware to your Madison WI area home. Most existing homes include garage doors that are anything but exciting. They’re big, flat and boring. Do older garage doors have to be boring? Why can’t they make a statement just like the latest modern designs? They can!
With the addition of new hardware old doors can take on a modern, sleek look or revert to a bygone era of carriage houses. You can “accessorize” your garage door with decorative hardware without busting your budget.
Why Add Decorative Garage Door Hardware?
Curb appeal is the buzz word in real estate. Are you thinking about selling your house? Curb appeal is a serious topic when a sale is in the future. Adding decorative garage door accents is an easy way to make a significant change. Hardware accents come in a variety of styles, shapes, colors and materials. Your garage door is a large, usually blank, canvas. Make it work with the rest of your exterior décor.
Changing your garage door’s appearance adds visual interest and value. Planning a facelift for the garage door? Evaluate what you have to work with and the best use of your space:
- Does your garage face the street and sit in front of the rest of the house, making it more prominent than the front entryway?
- Is the garage tucked around to the side of the house – where you’ll be decorating for your own pleasure, not really “curb appeal.”
- Does the garage compete for attention with the front of the house?
- Do you want to make a statement, drawing attention to the garage door or just freshen up the overall look of your home?
Remember, “a little is good, too much is … too much.” You can go overboard with decorative hardware on your garage door.
For 90% of the hardware changes on garage doors it’s to make a plain door mimic the style of carriage house doors. But you can go for Southern plantation, mid-century ranch and ultra-modern, too. The goal is to make it believable. The hardware you’re adding once actually opened the doors. Making it look real is the key. That means taking time to consider where hinges would be installed to actually swing a giant door, etc.
Observe Basic Guidelines For Adding Hardware
Garage door designers suggest a variety of basic rules of thumb to observe as you plan to upgrade a standard door, including:
- Define the style you’re looking to recreate – a swing-open style, a barn door style, one door made to look like, two, etc.
- Size hinges appropriately – most original carriage house doors were equal to a modern single-car garage door. So, if you’re revamping a standard two-car door treat it as if it were two old-style doors with sets of hinges on the outer edges and near the middle.
- Place handles and latches to mimic double doors, too, making sure they’re at a natural height – not too high nor too low.
Most homeowners haven’t given much thought to any of the basic hardware on their garage door – unless something breaks – until they decide to make a change. Without the benefit of experience, mistakes happen. The most common missteps to watch out for include:
- Adding strap hinges to a door that doesn’t look like a swing door
- Using strap hinges that are too short, too long or too thin for the size of the door
- Putting hinges in locations that don’t make sense
- Adding just a single handles instead of a pair
- Using too little hardware on double doors
- Not removing the old handles
When you’re ready to upgrade your door’s hardware, spend time with catalogs, websites and magazines to scout out what the door you want should look like. Overlooking the little things is easy. But, your garage door need not be boring. Done right it provides perfect accents to your home’s exterior.
Tap The Area’s Garage Door Hardware Pros
When it comes to improving curb appeal changing the face of your garage door isn’t the first thing that comes to mind, is it? But working with the right elements and the right guidance it is one of the quickest and most cost-effective ways to make a real difference.
Have you toured the neighborhood and exhausted other resources without making a decision? Don’t give up, plan a road trip. Northland Door Systems has the most complete garage door, garage door opener and garage door accessories showroom in southern Wisconsin. A short drive to Sauk City, just north or Madison, will reveal all the best garage door and opener brands available. Buying a new garage door is a significant decision. Making a hardware change is less drastic and often equally dramatic. Before you make a change, take advantage of all the latest information and get a hands-on appreciation for what’s available.
If you decide to replace your older door, Northland Door Systems’ factory-trained, experienced technicians will make sure your new door and door opener is installed right. We represent only high quality garage door brands and the most advanced garage door opening systems in southern Wisconsin. When your older garage door or opener needs work, take advantage of our extensive service area and decades of experience. Call or email Northland Door Systems at 608-251-3627 and let us introduce you to our selection of everything for garage doors from complete new installations to openers and the latest decorative garage door hardware for your Madison WI home.
Better Homes & Gardens – How to Install Garage Door Hardware