Curb appeal is an important element in a home’s value. Selecting the right garage door style to complement your architecture makes a great first impression. Throughout the Madison WI area the garage door has become more important than ever. It has become the main point of entry. And, it is often the first eye-catching portion of a home’s exterior. Sizes, shapes, colors and textures all contribute to unique garage door style.
The many variations available today make choosing the best door for both form and function more difficult, too.
The Elements Of Garage Door Style
When choosing a new or replacement garage door there are several elements to consider. Begin with the basic material. Choices are based on price, design options, durability and maintenance requirements. The most common materials in use today are: steel, wood and aluminum. To a lesser extent fiberglass doors are available.
Wood is common for its classic looks and ability to accept paint and stain. Metal doors are lighter and require less maintenance.
Consider the advantages of each:
- Steel Garage Doors – steel panels provide strength and durability. They are available in many factor-applied colors and finishes. You can find a steel door to complement almost any exterior design. Available with insulation panels to increase energy efficiency. Can be textured for a wood grain look. Major drawback is dents and scratches show and can lead to rust.
- Wooden Garage Doors – wood is the most traditional garage door option. It is customized for nearly every style, shape and size. Wood is an excellent insulator. Major disadvantage is frequent maintenance – staining, painting, etc.
- Aluminum Garage Doors – these doors are lighter than other options and require very little maintenance. Aluminum doors require less effort to raise/lower and don’t rust. They are not as sturdy as steel but come in many looks, colors and sizes.
Find The Right ‘Look’
There are garage doors to enhance every architectural design. When you want to make a statement and bring your house out of the ordinary a garage door is a great place to start. Or, with a traditional-style home you may want your door to blend in.
To find a design that fits your personal lifestyle and your home’s overall look, consider these popular style options:
- Contemporary doors – modern doors, no matter the material, provide a lot of freedom in design. They are relatively simple designs with clean, uncluttered lines. And they are not usually designed to stand out. These popular options include textured surfaces, windows and wood grain.
- Colonial or Carriage House doors – these are among the most popular and demanded styles. With raised panels they are designed to look like stable or coach house entries. Many include windows styled to match the rest of the house. Colors usually match the home’s trim. Hinges and handles are prominent in the design but seldom actually come into play.
- Retro-look garage doors – with many 1950s era homes in the Madison area, a trend toward retro-look ranch-style doors has developed. These doors are simple horizontal designs.
Color Impacts Garage Door Style
Not long ago you could have “any color you want – as long as it is white.” Today, color is a vital element in garage door style and the range of selections is impressive. Manufacturers provide long lists of standard factory-applied colors plus dozens of custom options. The color of the garage door impacts the overall curb appeal.
Most garage doors are colored to match the home’s window and door trim. In addition, colors often blend with siding color. Make a bold statement with a dark garage door – red, green, brown or black. Or, go with an architectural statement with a wood stain.
Among the most requested colors for residential garage doors are:
- Dark Sand
- Heron Blue
- Ice White
- Desert Sand
- Moka Brown
Consult The Garage Door Style Experts
There are so many customizable options for a new or replacement garage door most homeowners are easily confused. Combining the right material with looks, performance and colors takes experience. There are almost no limitations.
With the help of garage door services you can create a door that matches your home and lifestyle. For a new installation or a replacement garage door call or email Northland Door Systems at 608-251-3627. Our professionals are well versed on all the latest materials and designs. We’ll connect you with the garage door style that’s just right for your Madison WI home.