Installing a Smart Garage Door Opener is a major step in bringing 21st century technology to the largest moving piece in your Madison WI home. The garage door has become the No. 1 “front door” for many homeowners so it makes sense to be sure it’s as safe and secure as possible. That means being able to monitor when it goes up/down and who has access to your garage. Applying the latest in “smart” technology not only protects your family and property, it provides peace of mind even when you’re not home.
What can a Smart garage door opening system do?
- Alerts – instantly know if someone is operating your smart garage door opener and if they are authorized. Know if someone has opened (or tried to open) the door manually.
- Monitor – know from anywhere if your garage door is up or down.
- Remote operation – open the door for guests, repair technicians or deliveries. No need to provide pass codes or remote openers. Set your door to automatically open/close at a specified time – easy to forget at night, set it to automatically close at 10 p.m.
- Virtual key – when guests are coming and going create a virtual entry key for their Smart phone. You can set it to expire on a specific day and time, too.
- Records – data showing when (dates and times) your garage door opens/closes.
While it’s true the Smart technology making headlines is new and constantly evolving, you don’t have to invest in a new state-of-the-art smart garage door opener system to use it. Popular brands like Chamberlain and Genie provide kits to bring existing models into the high-tech age. Retro fit kits are available to fit from one to three door systems.
Partnerships In Smart Garage Door Opener Tech
The popular Genie garage door opener company has partnered with Samsung taking advantage of the latest integration.
Genie’s Aladdin Connect® — smart garage openers are “Work With SmartThing” certified. That means they are compatible with all Samsung SmartThing technology. The partnership makes the garage door openers part of a huge network of brands connecting homes, garages and vehicles. Among the advantages to the partnership are:
- Multiplatform voice control – you can tell your smart device to open/close the garage door. The system works with devices including Alexa and Google.
- Geofencing – set up geo-tag references on vehicles that the system recognizes as you enter the driveway so the garage door opens automatically. Complete hands-free operation.
- Safety/Security – system can open the door if it detects smoke inside the garage or if CO levels reach a danger level.
Aladdin Direct uses a sensor attached to the garage door so it alerts you every time the door changes position, even when disconnected from the garage door opener itself. That’s an advantage over systems that only monitor the opening system – they don’t report accurately when the door is disengaged from the opener. Providing added security and information during power outages, for example.
In addition, Aladdin Direct is compatible with a variety of garage door openers and both the iOS and Android mobile operating systems for dozens of devices.
ChamberLain MyQ — Another of the major smart garage door opener manufacturers, Chamberlain, is also on top of the Smart opener technology. It’s MyQ system lets you feel confident you know what’s going on in and around your garage. In addition to all the high-tech features discussed here, it adds the ability for Amazon Prime members in select areas to create special codes for personalized deliveries via a Key By Amazon in-garage delivery app.
Premium Smart Garage Door Opener Deserves Pro Service
The latest in communications technology and garage door hardware coupled to give you a 21st century home deserves top-notch service, doesn’t it? The more sophisticate the components the more important proper installation is. Does it make sense to invest in the latest software-driven system and skimp on installation? Never undervalue the skill, training and ability of a professional technician.
A smart garage door opener system may not look too complex. But reliable performance hinges on everything working in concert. Your garage door is big, bulky and heavy. Just getting it up and down on demand requires special techniques. Add the standard safety measures and there’s another level of skill involved. Couple all that with “Smart” technology and making it all work together is a significant challenge.
You want the peace of mind that comes from knowing your garage door opener is reliable any time, day or night. And, now, that it works with any Smart system for every member of the family.
Northland Door Systems’ factory-trained, experienced technicians are skilled at balancing and adjusting garage doors. And they’re skilled at installing garage door openers – including the most advanced systems available in southern Wisconsin. When you need a new smart garage door opener or want to move up to the latest technology, take advantage of our wide service area and decades of experience. Call or email Northland Door Systems at 608-251-3627 and let us provide you with the latest smart garage door opener to upgrade your Madison WI home.